Monday, July 10, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galloway: Why do you hate them so much?
Lt. Weinberg: They beat up on a weakling, and that's all they did. The rest is just smokefilled coffee-house crap. They tortured and tormented a weaker kid. They didn't like him. So, they killed him. And why? Because he couldn't run very fast.
=================================================================================

Kaffee: You don't need a patch on your arm to have honor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lt. Col. Matthew Andrew Markinson: I want you to know that I am proud neither of what I have done, nor of what I am doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Col. Jessep: [yelling] I'm gonna rip out your eyes, and piss into your dead skull! You fucked with the wrong Marine!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Col. Jessep: What do you wanna discuss now? My favorite color?
Kaffee: Colonel, a moment ago you said that you ordered Lieutenant Kendrick to tell his men that Santiago wasn't to be touched.
Col. Jessep: That's right.
Kaffee: And Lieutenant Kendrick was clear on what you wanted?
Col. Jessep: Crystal.
Kaffee: Any chance Lieutenant Kendrick ignored the order?
Col. Jessep: Ignored the order?
Kaffee: Any chance he forgot about it?
Col. Jessep: No.
Kaffee: Any chance Lieutenant left your office and said, 'The old man is wrong'?
Col. Jessep: No.
Kaffee: When Lieutenant Kendrick spoke to the Platoon, and ordered them not to touch Santiago, any chance they ignored him?
Col. Jessep: You ever served in an infantry unit, son?
Kaffee: No, sir.
Col. Jessep: Ever served in a forward area?
Kaffee: No, sir.
Col. Jessep: Ever put your life in another man's hands: asked him to put his life in yours?
Kaffee: No, sir.
Col. Jessep: We follow orders, son. We follow orders, or people die; it's that simple. Are we clear?
Kaffee: Yes, sir.
Col. Jessep: [nearly shouting] Are we clear?
Kaffee: Crystal. Colonel, I've just one more question before I call Airman O'Malley and Airman Rodriguez; if you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders ar always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: [shouting] Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: [shouts] You're goddamn right I did!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judge Randolph: [reading the verdict] Lance Corporal Dawson, Private First Class Downey: On the charge of murder, the members find the accused not guilty. On the charge of conspiracy to commit murder, the members find the accused not guilty. On the charge of conduct unbecoming a United States Marine, the members find the accused guilty as charged. The accused are hereby sentenced to time already served, and you are ordered to be dishonorably discharged from the Marine Corps. This court martial is adjourned.
Bailiff: All rise.
[the courtroom clears; Downey is baffled and afraid, and speaks to Dawson]
Downey: What does that mean?

No comments: